365 Days of Grief & Healing

Send Flowers


We won't share your email

History


In July of 1941, Don E. Stone of Middletown, Ohio, purchased the funeral business and the residence of George Fawcett, Chesterhill, Ohio. His family included his wife, Mary, and his three year old daughter, Deborah Ann. Although he was a perfect stranger, Don soon won the confidence and respect of the people. 


In 1944 a second daughter, Susan Elizabeth was born to the Stones. In this same year Don purchased the former Jesse Wood home and grocery store building. After remodeling the grocery store rooms, he opened and operated a furniture store. He then remodeled the residential part of the building into two rental apartments. 

In 1946, he remodeled that part of the building again so that it could be used as a Funeral Home. At this time he moved the funeral business from his residence to its present location. Mary attended school in Pittsburgh, Pa., served her apprenticeship, and received her funeral directors license in 1964. 

1962, Susan married Timothy H. Matheney. They both attended Heidelberg College and Ohio University. Tim graduated from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science in 1966 and was licensed in 1968 after serving his internship. 

Tim and Susan bought the business in 1974. After teaching in the Morgan Local System for seven years, Susan served her apprenticeship and became a licensed funeral director in 1977. 

Son Rhett was born in 1968. He is a 1986 graduate of Morgan High School, a 1991 graduate of the Ohio State University, and a 1995 graduate of the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science. 

The Matheney family purchased the Tatman (formerly Fisher) Funeral Home in McConnelsville in 1994. In 1999, Paul Lane remodeled the beautiful building, adding a room in keeping with the existing architectural structure. 

The Stone-Matheney Funeral Home in Chesterhill and the Matheney Funeral Home in McConnelsville both offer and provide a full range of funeral services and cater to all faiths.